Sunday, September 4, 2011

New York City, Take One

New York, New York! Rob held true to his deal made on the slopes at Deer Valley to Sherrie so out east we flew. After a Red Eye from California to New York everyone was a little drowsy and crashed in the hotel lobby because our room wasn't ready yet. Since we were just two block from Times Square we set off to see the sights. Chris had never been and we were looking at New York with a different eye since we will be applying to NYU in the spring! I could just picture myself with a jogging stroller in Central Park every morning. If only...
 
Playing in FAO Schwartz

Chelsea was quite the piano player and put on a show with one of the workers. I felt like we were in the movie "Big" when they were playing their duet!
Sherrie and her 25,000 Barbie Foosball Table. Rob and I decided we could make that for about 1,000 ourselves. Totally nuts.
The rest of day one was spent exploring Central Park and going to the museum of Natural History. Below was the view from Chris and I's room. Chelsea was our roommate and put up with our pillow fights and Chris's late night goofiness. Despite our early mornings I don't think we ever went to bed before midnight. It was a sleep-deprived trip and she survived beautifully.
Ellis Island!
Manhattan Skyline


The Bell Ladies and The Intrepid Aircraft Carrier. We figured with all the shopping we were doing, we should do a "manly thing" for them. Of course we made up for it after and went to Century 21--officially the best department store ever! Chris got a $500 genuine leather jacket for $50 and a designer button-up for $15 and GUESS shoes. One of the few stores he really liked shopping in. I got some really cute Juicy Couture jewelry that was also marked way down and some patent leather red heels for  only $12! I would HIGHLY recommend it to anyone who wants some good shopping in New York or L.A. One of the highlights of the trip for me :) We also hit up Chinatown and had some of the best Chinese for I've ever had, I wish I could remember the name!
Playing Around in the Helicopters
The top of the Empire State Building. We also got makeovers in Bloomingdale's, went in Tiffany's and admired things we couldn't afford (a charm that I wanted to get for my bracelet was over $200!), and took an awesome tour all over the city. The tour guide showed us where all the stars lived and had lots of other cool facts about the city to share. Even threw in a rap here and there--seriously the funniest guy ever.
This was my first time seeing "Wicked". Probably the most phenomonal show I've ever seen. Can't wait to see it again in less than a month! We walked over to Serendipity's after for dessert. Chris got the *wimpy* sized banana split (look how huge it is!) and I got the frozen hot chocolate. Amazing to say the least.

The next night we went to the Spiderman show and it didn't compare to Wicked. We might have seen them in the wrong order. It was entertaining but the musical talent was weak for what you expected on Broadway. What I loved about it was how Spiderman flew around the theater. We were sitting on the balcony so he landed right in front of us. I could see how they had so many problems with the actors getting hurt. 

All the buzz on Broadway was the "Book of Mormon" musical and the tickets were nowhere to be found (we didn't try of course but that was the word on the street). What I thought was really neat was all of the advertising the church did in response. We saw mormon ads in Times Square, on top of Taxis, inside the Taxis, you name it.
  
To celebrate our final night we went to dinner at "The View." It's a spectacular restaurant on top of the Marriott hotel in Timse Square that rotates once an hour. We saw some of the best views of New York at sunset and really enjoyed our time chatting at the table. The food was incredible (we expected nothing less for the set price of $80 per plate!) and was the perfect way to end the trip!
This is about how we were feeling at the end of the trip...just kidding Scott we love you!

One final hurrah in Times Square! What a FUN trip! Thanks Rob and Sherrie, you guys are the best :)
So long New York! See you again in a few months!

No comments:

Post a Comment